Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A bit of history







Here’s my weight history. I stayed around 112 lbs in high school. My senior year I filled out and got to 117. No big deal. I gained 14 lbs when I joined the Air Force and went through basic training. In tech school, I know I packed on a few more lbs because I was going to school on the night shift and was woofing down snickers and Mt. Dews to stay awake. I realized I was kind of heavy for my height (5’3), so I cut out the sugars and tried to eat better. By the time I was at my first base, I was approximately 123 lbs.

**When I am pregnant, I go by the weight on the drs scale. When I am not pregnant, I use my scale at home, which is about 7 lbs off from the drs scale**

When I went to my first drs appointment with #1, I was 128 lbs. I thought I was supposed to eat for 2, so I complied with that. The problem is that I ate for two grown men and blew up to 180+ lbs. I add the plus sign because I was too ashamed to look at the scale for my last visit. It was mid afternoon and I had on steel toe boots, but I hopped on the scale and as soon as it hit 180, I turned my head. I could see that it didn’t go above 185, but I can’t tell you if I weighed 181 or 184. Since I was in the Air Force, I had 6 months to get back below my weight max of 143. My thoughts were that if I was trying to lose weight, why stop at 143; why not go back to 128. So I did. When #1 was 1 year old, I found out I was pregnant with #2.

At my first dr appt I was 132 lbs. I got up to 170+ lbs. I am not ashamed at what I weighed that time, but I just can’t remember that far back. Anyway, almost immediately I was 148 lbs. But I stayed there for 6 months. I was working 84 hours a week and had two small children so I ate whatever I could get my hands on. I had a gym membership but going to the gym was WAY out of the question. Once I moved to small town OK, I was able to work out and eat right. I would “bounce” on a mini-trampoline for 2 hours in the morning while watching ER. If the kids needed me, I would assist them, otherwise I would wait until commercials to deal with them, do some laundry, do crunches, etc. I would make myself something different for dinner. Example: If I made them spaghetti, I would have the noodles with spray butter and lemon and a salad. I also stopped eating beef. This trend started at the end of February 2002. By #2’s first b-day at the end of July, I was 116 lbs. One day I ate a burger and the weight came back. Okay, it wasn’t like THAT. But I did start eating beef again and I DID gain the weight back. I am certain that my starting school and not working out had NOTHING to do with it!

In 2004 I finished up undergrad and went to law school. I saw a pic of myself in a school catalogue and realized I was fat. I was 147 lbs. That September, I decided to do something about it. Wait a moment. REWIND. I realized I was fat before that. I went to the dr. and was prescribed phentermine and I was taking 3 different classes at the gym 6 days a week. Some days I’d complete 2 classes, while other days I would only complete 1. I KNOW muscle weighs more than fat, but my pants weren’t getting any looser. Back to September 2004. I began to reduce the amount I was eating, I was eating cleaner, but I would eat whatever I wanted—in moderation. By January I was down to 120 something lbs. I eventually got to 115 and maintained it until March of 2006. Oh yeah, I stopped eating beef again. I eventually added beef back to my life, but this time I didn’t turn into a moo-cow.

In Feb of 2006, my appendix ruptured and I spent 5 days in the hospital too sick to eat. When I got home, I was swollen and bloated from the surgery, but I stepped on the scale to see 112 lbs. I looked like a bobble head. You don’t think 3 lbs makes a difference, but I looked like a skeleton. Remember I said I was bloated. Imagine what I would’ve looked like if didn’t have the 7 months pregnant look going on. I would’ve looked worse than a 20 year old corpse.

In April 2007, I was pregnant with #3. At my first appointment at 9 weeks, I was 124 lbs. I got up to 164 lbs. The weight fell off but stopped at 135 lbs. Since I didn’t really think I was fat, like before, I haven’t been in a hurry to get the weight off. My thought process before was that since I am heavy and I am already losing the weight, I might as well go as low as I can go. But this time, since I wasn’t THAT big, I didn’t feel the urge like before. MY goal has always been to be back to my pre-pregnancy size (115) by #3’s first birthday. Well, that’s NOT going to happen. I’ve been too comfortable where I am. Problem is, I have a closet FULL of clothes that I can’t fit into. That has to change.

I am currently at 130 lbs on my NEW scale (125) on the old one. I figured if I was going get to 115, it would be an accurate 115. So I have 15lbs to lose. #3 will be 1 on Dec 7 so I won’t be able to get the weight off by then. My goal is to have about 7 lbs off in a month. I typically average 8 lbs a month when I am doing well. I guess I need to kick ass this next month to get there!

Goals:
December 27-123
January 27-115

2 comments:

Mrs Furious said...

boy can I relate to you! Happy birthday to #3:)
You can do it. Interesting about the beef...

Sherry said...

Mrs. Furious,

I can't explain the beef theory. It's a lot harder to eat out if you're beef free. Take McDonald's for example. You're stuck eating chicken nuggets, chicken strips, or a chicken sandwich. Yuck. I would eat 2 chicken nuggets and call it a day.

I really don't eat beef much now. Ground beef had been replaced with ground turkey.