Friday, January 16, 2009

Importance of food journalling

Happy Friday everyone. I am so very thankful the weekend is here and I'm even more thankful that it's a 3 day weekend.

I do not freak out about what I eat. If I want chocolate, I eat it. But I do not eat it in excess. Anyway, for the most part, I do try to eat healthy. I also write down what I eat. I am not counting calories, but I like to know what I am consuming. My downfall is that I do not write this down everyday. I do have a great memory and every two days I will write down what I ate the previous days. I do NOT recommend this because it's so easy to forget. I am fortunate that I haven't left anything out, but it would be a better measure to write things down as soon as I eat it. Moving on, the past few days, I have been craving veggies. Always good. I thought I have been eating exceptionally well the past week. Until today. I wrote down what I ate Wednesday, Thursday, and today and I was in for a shocker. I was eating more poorly than I had thought. Had I wrote down what I ate when I ate it on Wednesday, maybe I wouldn't have eaten so much that night. Or if I had had the entire list for Wednesday, I wouldn't have made the SAME poor choices the next two days. It's not that I was eating unhealthy things, it's just that I was eating too much. Last night I had a multigrain roll right after dinner. That wasn't necessary.

So, it's very important to write down what you eat. You may not be able to lose any weight and you might wonder how it's possible because you're working out like mad and eating right. But are you really eating properly? Prove it. Write it down then look back and see if you can tell me that your diet is perfect. I know mine isn't. But now that I see my errors, I can fix the problem; I can fine tune my diet so those last 7 lbs will go away!

3 comments:

April said...

I got a little chuckle when you said you ate the roll and that wasn't necessary :) I know exactly what you mean.

You're doing great, keep pushing!

Hayley said...

The best thing about all of this is that you are now completely aware and I think awareness is the key to all of this. All you have to do is make those small changes and whatever you want to happen will happen. :)

Jessica said...

Hey girl!
I have started using the Daily Plate through Livestrong and I LOVE IT! One of my goals for the year was to track my food and i have loved doing this. Especially being knocked up, it has kept me honest and my eating reflects that. Definitely nice for accountability!
Good reminder! I am going to log my food!
Jess