Thursday, March 22, 2012

They see me rolling

Hello folks!  How are you?  Are you enjoying spring?  A cold snap came through so its not as warm as it has been, but I am glad the winter is over. 

I have been on a roll this past week.  Last week I got in 5 complete workouts.  I didn't follow my meal plan last week because I didn't have the food I needed however, that changed as of Sunday!  I spent the day buying and cooking my food for half the week and finished the other half last night.  My workouts have been going well this week.  Tuesdays workout wasn't 100% but I made an effort.  I would say it was 80% complete. 

I am at a phase where I am so frustrated.  I am in between weights and I hate it.  My gym doesn't have "in between" sizes like 2 lbs, 8 lbs, 12 lbs, 18 lbs.  They have weights in increments of 5.  So, a 5 lb weight is way too light, yet a 10 lbs weight is heave.  But its not just dumbbells.  Even on the machines I am frustrated.  I was doing pull downs and I wanted to scream because I couldn't use 40 lbs with the number of reps I was doing yet 25 lbs was cake.  There wasn't anything in between. Really???  I would do 25 lbs this set then swap to 40.  But there was no way I could've done 40 lbs back to back.  Yet it felt like I was wasting my time with 25 lbs.  What do you do?  Do you go with the higher weight although you cant finish the set or do you use the lower weight? Or do you use the higher weight then swap down to lower.  I usually start off with the higher weights until I cant use them anymore then I will drop to lower weights. But wow, there was such a drastic difference between the two.  I couldn't have completed 2 sets at 40 lbs. There was NO way.  35 lbs...sure...but nooooooooooooooooooo the machine didn't have it.  So.....there's my complaint for the day...I need different weights! 

I work on an Air Force base and we have 2 gyms.  I LOVED the fact that one gym actually had a better weight selection with those "in between" sizes.  Now I cant speak for the machines...I don't know if there was a 15 lb gap between weights.  But the dumbbells were great.  Then I went in one day and they were all replaced with the same weights that were used at the other gym.  Bummer.  Do they not think that people need in between sizes?  Maybe men don't??  Well, the gym is free, so I guess I just have to suck it up and hope that although I am using the lighter weight, my strength will grow so I can make it to the next size:)

That's all I have.  Sorry for the small rant!  I am just happy to be working out consistently.  I am happy to be getting in shape.  I am happy to be eating properly. 

1 comment:

Dawn said...

If I was in your situation I would do a pyramid type workout. For example do a set of 25 reps at the lower weight then do 20 reps and 15 or 12 maybe down to 6. By the time you will get down to less reps your muscles should feel it. And you can change weights or reps to go with what your body can handle. I hope this makes sense.