Friday, February 3, 2012

Yum Yum Yum

Lets talk about food today.  As mentioned in my last post, I said it was hard to get some of my meals down.  At least I think I said it. Well yes friends, sometimes I skip meals.  I just don’t have an appetite. Like right now, my throat is a little sore, and I don’t want to swallow anything.  I know that choking down dry chicken will make things worse. But I also know that I have to eat. This post is dedicated to eating the foods we don’t always want to eat.
Is there a certain food you absolutely REFUSE to eat?  I know I mentioned before that some people are such picky eaters and claim they won’t eat this or that. I am NOT a picky eater; I eat almost out there.  One food I prefer not to eat is shrimp.  Ok, I will be honest.  When it’s on my meal plan, I WILL NOT eat it.  But let me tell you why.  I grew up in Louisiana with plenty of fresh seafood. At 18, I joined the Air Force and moved to West Texas.  Yeah, the seafood SUCKS.  We aren’t close enough to the gulf to get fresh seafood. I would only eat seafood when I returned home, which wasn’t very often.  In 2009, I was home visiting my family. I was also pregnant. I took a bite of shrimp and proclaimed “I don’t like shrimp.”  This was fresh shrimp but I couldn’t stomach it.  To this day, I don’t like shrimp.  I will order a shrimp dish at a restaurant every now and again. Nine times out of ten, I cant eat it.  I think I have ordered shrimp three times in the last 2 years and have enjoyed it.  Actually, that’s an inaccurate statement.  I tolerated it because it didn’t have a seafood taste.  The sauce on it masked the seafood flavor.  Of course, the shrimp weren’t very strong to begin with.  For some reason, shrimp has a chlorine taste to it. That’s the only thing I can describe.  I was buying shrimp around Christmas to put in gumbo and the salesman told me that the brown gulf shrimp were “stronger” than the white.  Stronger=chlorineJ  Getting back to my original point:  I don’t care for shrimp.
There sure things I don’t care to eat, but will eat.  Mussels are a great example.  I don’t really like them, but I will eat them.  I don’t care for peanut butter, but I can eat it if needed.  Last night I had my 2 year old eating sauerkraut.  I told you, we aren’t picky eaters!!!  I am not knocking picky eaters, so don’t think that.  I cannot grasp how some people are so picky.  Is it the texture they hate?  The taste? Is it because they didn’t grow up eating it so its foreign to them?  One of my daughters is somewhat picky.  I guess I will never understand!

Okay everyone, you have a fantastic weekend.  Hopefully I will give yall something good to read this weekend!  I don’t have any plans yet.  Who knows what I will get into!

No comments: