Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Now that's motivation!

I’m sitting at work, where I can not access any blogs. I have the urge to write on my blog, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the Air Force thinks I should do some work for them instead of worrying about my blog. Point taken. However, I felt the urge to get this out! So, I am doing the next best thing—writing in a word document then e-mailing it my personal e-mail so I can copy and paste! Brilliant!

I’ve pretty much committed myself to BFL, at least for the moment. Last night I did my upper body workout at 10:00. I didn’t want to. I really didn’t want to. I wanted to go to bed instead. It could wait until tomorrow right? WRONG. No, it couldn’t wait until tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the next. If I didn’t get up then and do it, I wouldn’t. So, I did. I was using my 5 lbs weights and I thought it was pretty pathetic at first. I had clearly gotten use to those and needed to use heavier weights. WRONG. After a couple of sets, my arms were SOOOOOOOOOOO tired. By the third set, it was taking all I had to get out the last few reps. EEEKKKKKK…..I felt GREAT afterwards. G-R-E-A-T.

So here comes today. It’s cardio day. I can tolerate 20 minutes right? Well I really don’t want to go to the gym. But I don’t have anything cardio related at home besides the mini trampoline. Plus, it would be easier to monitor my time on a piece of equipment at the gym. So I went and got on a treadmill. I set my 5 at 3.5, 6 at 4.0, 7 at 4.5, 8 at 5.0, 9 at 5.5, and my 10 at 6.0 mph. I was very tired each time by the time I got to my 9. When I was down to the last two minutes and I had to crank it up to 6mph, I wanted to scream. My legs were tired. I was tired. But I did it. And for that entire minute I thought I was going to cry. I thought I was going to burst out crying in front of 20 people. I was pushing myself, telling myself to keep going, envisioning thin thighs. All 60 seconds sucked more than anything. I was beyond a 10. I think I was at a 20. For some people, running 6mph might not be that big of a deal. But to me, today, it was. So, I made it through that one minute and let me tell you, the results of pushing yourself is SOOOOOOOOOOO rewarding. I am not sure if I was fueled from an endorphin high or if I was just thrilled that I had a goal for the day and succeeded.


You can do anything when you put your mind to it. ANYTHING. Sometimes you have to push yourself, even if it's to the point of wanting to cry because you don't think you can do it. But if you have faith in yourself and your abilities, the world is yours! (Or at least a nice body is yours!!)

I'm off to take a bath! Have a fanfreakingtastic night!

2 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

So sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner.

As you described in today's post, it looks as though you know what a '10' is!!! Awesome job.

I started my fitness journey back in 2005 with BFL. It's been a long road, and long because I'm not very dedicated.

But BFL was the 1st thing I did and it really gave me the information that I needed to know how to succeed. In my case, knowing and doing are 2 different things though.

BFL will teach you all sorts of things that you can either decide to do or change up a little bit. I learned that I don't necessarily need a complex carb (brown rice, yam) at each and every meal. Sometimes a protein and a green veggie will do just fine.

The workouts are great though. I always say that if I can make it through labor/delivery, then I can do 20 min of HIIT. I've been emailing back and forth with Laurie and she can attest at how much I scream and curse the treadmill after an HIIT. My high point on Monday was 7.2. I thought my legs would fall off!!!

I love the weights for the upper body, mainly because I work out at home and only have access to dumbbells. And even after 2 years of it, I'm still trying to "like" doing the lower body workout. So.Not.Fun. But that's not BFL's fault -- that's me.

The program works. But you have to work the program to see results. Plain and simple.

I think you should give it a try and see how you do. But give at least 12 weeks ... that's key. Sometimes women won't see results until 8 weeks and then voila, all sorts of changes happen.

Good Luck and know that you can email me or IM me at any time!!!

(Are you in the AF? My mom was in for 30 years and retired in 2001. My brother-in-law is in right now as a boom operator for the KC-10s.)

KatieFeldmom said...

These are the answers to the actual questions that you asked in the previous post. Sorry about my lack of organization!!!

I do not think that Pilates or Yoga will affect your results. Just make sure to give your muscles a rest in between workouts.

I think it's OK to do 'extra' cardio, but the key is listening to your body. If you're worn out, don't do it. Plain and simple.

BFL does want you to eat every 2½ - 3½ hours. If your meals are the right size, then that's when you should be getting hungry. If you are not hungry by hour 3, then your meal might be too big. If you're hungry right at hour 2, then it might be too small. It's a lot of guessing at first, but once you get the portions figured out, it becomes 2nd nature.